Read the latest news from Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine’s Center for Global Health within the Institute for Public Health and Medicine. The links below take you to articles where you can learn more about our members’ latest achievements, discoveries, and honors.
Global Health & Innovation Conference
The Global Health & Innovation Conference at Yale on April 16-17, 2016, is the world's leading and largest global health conference as well as the largest social entrepreneurship conference, with 2,200 professionals and students from all 50 states and more than 55 countries. This must-attend, thought-leading conference convenes leaders, changemakers, professionals and students from all sectors of global health, international development, and social entrepreneurship.
Unite For Sight supports eye clinics worldwide by investing human and financial resources in their social ventures to eliminate patient barriers to eye care. Unite For Sight applies best practices in eye care, public health, volunteerism, and social entrepreneurship to achieve our goal of high-quality eye care for all. The programs are locally led and managed by ophthalmologists at Unite For Sight's partner eye clinics. Unite For Sight's international eye care services with partner local eye clinics are provided year-round and are comprehensive, including examinations by local eye doctors, diagnosis and care for treatable conditions, education, and preventative care. Outreach services are brought to the people in their villages, in some cases including villages seven or more hours from the clinics. These patients are provided with regular follow-up care by our outreach teams throughout the year. To date, we have provided eye care services to more than 1.9 million people worldwide, including more than 87,378 sight-restoring surgeries.
Research, program, and Innovation Prize/impact pitch abstracts are currently being accepted. The first abstract deadline is August 31.
The registration rate increases after July 31; register during July for the lowest registration rate. Please feel free to forward this announcement to others who may also be interested in attending or presenting.
- 2016 GHSP Applications now open06.16.2015
- Northwestern Will Progress Report06.12.2015The Office of President Schapiro released a progress report on Northwestern's Will strategic plan which was first unveiled in 2011. The Center for Global Health is promently mentioned.
- Dr. John Connelly "Delivering Healthcare in the Developing World: Addressing Challenges with Innovative Solutions"04.17.2015
- 4th Annual Summer Institute of Advanced Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine03.25.2015
4th Annual Summer Institute of Advanced Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine
Center for Global Health is pleased to inform you that the Summer Institute of Advanced Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine at Tel Aviv University is now accepting applications for Summer 2015 (July 12-17 / July 19-24)!
The Summer Institute, in collaboration with Johns Hopkins University School of Public Health, offers intensive, one-week courses taught in English by world-renowned faculty from Johns Hopkins University (JHU), Tel Aviv University (TAU), Northwestern University (NU), World Health Organization (WHO), United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and other academic and research institutions.
The following courses will be offered this summer:
- Intermediate Observational Epidemiology
- Food Security and Public Health
- Medical Writing
- Hospital and Community Infection Control Preparedness Facing Emerging Pathogens
Further information and course descriptions can be found online: Summer Institute 2015.
To apply, please visit Tel Aviv University International and select "Apply Now".
- Global Health Lottery03.20.2015
The lottery for global health electives for the class of 2016 has run and 90% of those who applied received either their first or second choice elective. This was a soft deadline and while several of our programs are now full for the 2015-16 academic year, the Center for Global Health will continue accepting applications from your class as we proceed. The following partner institutions are enrolled at or near capacity for the coming academic year:
- Stellenbosch University, South Africa - Full in February & April 2016
- Hillside Health Care International, Belize – Full February, 2016. Two spots open in April 2016
- Karolinska Institute, Sweden - Full in February 2016. One spot remaining mid-April to mid-May 2016
- Charite, Germany - Full in April 2016. One spot remaining in February 2016
- Strasbourg, France - Full in April 2016. One spot remaining in February 2016
- Keio, Japan - Full 2016
- Trinity College Dublin, Ireland - Full 2016
Our remaining partner institutions all have availability and you may still request funding support and apply for elective credit. The full list of partners is posted here.