Stellenbosch University - Cape Town, South Africa
Founded in 1918 and situated in the country's oldest town, Stellenbosch University is recognized as one of the four top research universities in South Africa. The Faculty of Health Sciences at Stellenbosch is home to 3,000 undergraduate and post-graduate students; on average, 160 specialists are trained there annually. The Stellenbosch University Medical School/Tygerberg Hospital complex is situated in Parow Valley, located 30 minutes from the main university campus and 25 minutes from Cape Town.
Tygerberg Hospital officially opened in 1976 and is an affiliated teaching hospital for the Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Stellenbosch, the University of Western Cape and Cape Peninsula University of Technology. The hospital currently has approximately 1,300 beds, including a 300-bed children's hospital, day surgery unit, a dental facility, research facilities, as well as residences for nurses, students and doctors. More than 500,000 outpatients visit and more than 90,000 are admitted annually. Other specialist and sub-specialist services include a center for the hearing impaired, center for mental health, clinical retinal laboratory, complex craniofacial surgery unit, in-vitro fertilization, laboratory for human genetics, tuberculosis clinical work unit, social work unit and hyperbaric oxygen facility.
- Dates: Various
- Length of rotations: Four to six weeks
- Location: Cape Town, South Africa
- Language requirement: None
- Student level: M4s
- How to apply: Complete the online application; please note that Stellenbosch hosts a large number of international students and requires application from visiting medical students be submitted eight months in advance of the intended travel dates
- Rotation areas: Hope/Kid Cru rotation on Infectious Disease and Family and Community Medicine; a maximum of six Feinberg students may visit per month at Tygerberg Hospital
Medical Education Exchange
Feinberg students may visit Stellenbosch University and rotate at Tygerberg Hospital in Cape Town, where they can complete rotations in infectious disease, pediatric infectious disease, internal medicine and dermatology. The Hope/Kid Cru rotation at Tygerberg involves rotating on the infectious disease ward, participating in weekly conferences and occasionally visiting local township clinics where regular clinics are held. At the township clinic, prior participants have worked at midwife outpatient center where they saw patients with gestational diabetes, HIV infection, TB and more. All doctors and health professionals will speak English, but Xhosa and Afrikaans will be spoken by some patients. Students can expect to spend approximately six to eight hours per day engaged in clinical rotations at the hospital.
- Stellenbosch Faculty of Health Sciences International Office
- Stellenbosch University International Office
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- World Health Organization Country Profile
- U.S. State Department
At Tygerberg Hospital, medical students stay at the International Student Lounge, which has small kitchens equipped with a microwave, fridge, hot plate and on-site laundry. Stellenbosch University is located approximately 50 kilometers from Tygerberg Hospital and Cape Town.
The fees listed below are charged by Stellenbosch University for all visiting clinical rotations. These fees represent approximate figures and may change due to fluctuations in the exchange rate. Stellenbosch may adjust any and all fees without notice.
- Housing fees: Approximately $110 per week (single room) or $95 per week (double room); rates apply to dorms near Tygerberg Hospital only
- International registration fee: Approximately $670
- Affiliation fee: Approximately $65 per week
Only accessible to users with a valid NetID.
- FSM student evaluation Stellenbosch 2018-19
- FSM student evaluation Stellenbosch 2017-18
- FSM student evaluation Stellenbosch 2016-17
- FSM student evaluation Stellenbosch 2015-16
- FSM student evaluation Stellenbosch 2014-15
- FSM student evaluation Stellenbosch 2013-14