McGaw Global Health Clinical Scholars
The McGaw Global Health Clinical Scholars Program is a two-year program that offers residents and fellows training in clinical care delivery in resource-limited settings worldwide.
- Brief Program and Application Overview Page (review prior to completing application)
- Program Director Recommendation Form
- Application Link (deadline Friday, July 31, 2020)
Eligible trainees must complete the following curricular components:
- Attendance at core lectures
- Specialty specific lectures
- Participation in a peer-led journal club
- Web-based training modules
- Simulation training
- Global health field experience
- Production and presentation of a scholarly project
Trainees and mentors are to follow the requirements outlined in the mentor-mentee contract.
These curricular components were created to meet the following global health competencies:
- Describe the global burden of disease and demonstrate understanding of epidemiologic tools and trends
- Understand the health implications of travel, migration and trade
- Recognize the major determinants of health
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of the relationship between health and human rights
- Demonstrate high standards of ethical conduct and quality in global healthcare
- Explain the role of community-engagement strategies in capacity strengthening
- Demonstrate the ability to engage in effective cross-cultural communication
- Develop strategies for ethical practice in unfamiliar and resource-constrained settings
- Develop global health-focused scholarly work and peer teaching skills
The program components and competencies are based on recommendations by global health educators that fulfill ACGME competencies.
- Provide an education in core concepts in global health for trainees across specialties
- Provide high-quality global health training experiences
- Establish strong relationships with global health mentors
- Mentored scholarly projects
Clinical Electives Funding and Approval Process
The Global Health Initiative Fund supports global health education for Feinberg residents, including those in the McGaw Global Health Clinical Scholars Program, who display an interest in global health and working with underserved populations in resource-limited settings. Visit the Global Health Initiative Funding for McGaw Residents page for more information, including eligibility, approval requirements information and application information.