Skip to main content

Post-Graduate Fellowship in Global Health

The Institute for Global Health offers support to postdoctoral research fellows and postdocs enrolled at Northwestern through the Post-Graduate Global Health Fellowship Program. The program is funded by the Feinberg School of Medicine’s Global Health Initiative, which is generously supported by Northwestern Medicine Primary and Specialty Care, its patients and Feinberg’s donors.

The fellowship is meant to provide a viable career track to post-graduate trainees at Northwestern by promoting innovative global health research and education and training programs. The fellowship will provide salary support for one year plus a modest research seed grant for a specific research project for one postdoctoral research fellow per year. The fellow would be expected to commit between 15 to 20 percent of their time to global health education programs and mentorship of junior medical trainees at the Institute for Global Health. The remaining 85 to 80 percent of the fellow’s time would be dedicated to research and clinical work depending on the priorities of the fellow and their department.


Post-Graduate trainees need to be already enrolled in a current post-graduate fellowship program (any program) at Northwestern, and must have completed at least one but no more than three years of post-graduate training by the proposed start date of the funding period (July 1 through June 30). Applicants will be reviewed by a committee through a competitive application process. The fellowship awardee would maintain their primary appointment in their current division/department for the full year. Applicants should display a financial need for the salary support.

How to Apply

All application materials are due by May 1st. To apply, submit the following via our online application:

  • CV
  • Two-page research statement (min 500, max 1,000 words) that provides your research aims and agenda, primary mentor, career goals and (if applicable) a description of proposed field work at a global site with relevant background data on the study and the host-institution
  • Letters of support from fellowship director and primary mentor

Seed Awards

A research seed award will be available for up to $10,000 per fellow. Fellows may propose the specific seed project upon submitting their application or at a later date. The seed award is meant to support research projects at international sites to cover supplies, travel, in-country research staff support, biostatistics support and IRB fees. The proposed seed project must be approved by the fellowship director, institute director and appropriate host institution authorities. 

Contact Us

For more information, contact Shannon Galvin, MD.

Follow Global Health on FacebookInstagram